Home / GENERAL NEWS / Korle Bu Maternity Ward Not On Fire – PRO Refutes Claims

Korle Bu Maternity Ward Not On Fire – PRO Refutes Claims

Spread the love

The Public Relations Officer of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Mustapha Salifu has refuted claims that the maternity block of the hospital has been gutted by fire.

Reports were rife on social media late Tuesday night of a supposed fire outbreak at the hospital’s maternity ward with videos showing evacuation of newly born babies.

The person filming the incident had claimed that the Ghana National Fire Service had been called but its personnel were yet to get to the hospital to help douse the flame.

But speaking to citinewsroom, Mr. Salifu said such reports were false.

“It is a false alarm to create panic,” he said.

The PRO explained that the switch of an air-conditioning system at the doctors’ restroom instead developed a slight problem and caught fire, but the situation was quickly contained.

Fire outbreak at Korle Bu in November 2020

The last time a fire incident was recorded at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital was on November 30, 2020.

Three patients diagnosed with COVID-19 who were on admission at the time were transferred to the University of Ghana Medical Centre after the fire outbreak at the medical ICU.

In the early hours of Monday, November 30, 2020, fire gutted the ICU as a result of an electrical fault from a socket in the ward.

Mustapha Salifu, at the time said, all the necessary steps were taken to evacuate all three patients who were in the ICU.

“The fire was detected early, so we were able to handle it as soon it started. The COVID-19 patients are safe and under control. There were also no casualties involved as a result of the outbreak,” he said.

Below is a statement the hospital issued on the latest fire scare:

Maternity Block of Korle Bu is not on Fire

The Maternity Block of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital(KBTH) is not on fire as been alleged on social media.

What happened was an air-conditioner switch in one of the restroom of the doctors started emitting smoke which was detected by staff on duty at around 9pm yesterday.

The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service(GNFS).

As a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.

We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that, there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff.

We wish to commend the staff on duty for their alertness and professionalism.

Mustapha Salifu
Head of PR
Korle Bu Teaching Hospital


Source: citinewsroom


Disclaimer: MyGhanaMedia is not responsible for this report and its content.There are four types of content published on MyGhanaMedia daily: curated content; syndicated content; user-generated content; and original content.
Send your news stories to [email protected] and Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 200818719

About Adwenpa-Hene

we publish on Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Lifestyle, and Technology. You can also follow Us on : YouTube Channel - My Ghana Media TV, Facebook - MyghanaMedia TV , Twitter - @MyGhanamedia2 & Instagram - My Ghana Media TV. Email Address: [email protected] Contact Us: 0200818719

Check Also

Speaker Bagbin’s Proposal To lock Parliament Long Overdue – ACEPA

Spread the love The Executive Director of the Africa Center for Parliamentary Affairs (ACEPA), Dr. …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *