According to a release to update the public on the food poisoning incidence at the restaurant a few weeks ago, the FDA said the pathogens may be linked to the food borne disease reported by customers.
“Analyses of samples of food, some juice drinks, and swaps taken from the environment at the East Legon branch of Mawarko Fast Food Limited indicate that there was heavy microbial load (pathogens) … Samples collected from the Abelenkpe and La branches were also found to be heavily contaminated,” the release signed by the Chief Executive Officer, Delese Mimi Darko stated.
It said the levels of sanitation and hygiene in the food preparation areas in all three facilities were also poor with poor storage practices.
“The temperatures of deep freezers and refrigerators were far above the acceptable ranges. The handling practices of ingredients used in cooking, cooked and ready-to-eat food items were also very poor,” it added.
The release further indicated that the process to establish the root cause of the contamination was hampered by the unapproved and unilateral decision of the management of the restaurant to destroy some of the food items whilst the investigation was in progress.
“The FDA has applied the appropriate regulatory sanctions and is also monitoring the implementation of the corrective and preventive actions (CAPA) by the management of Marwako Fast Foods to address all the non-conformances identified to prevent any reoccurrence,” it added.
It also assured the public that it would continue to closely monitor all activities at Marwako Fast Foods Limited to ensure compliance to the FDA’s directives and applicable regulatory requirements.
“Catering services at the facilities remain suspended. The public would be updated on any subsequent developments,” it added.
Read the full statement below:
On May 12, 2022, the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) closed down the East Legon branch of Marwako restaurant, following widespread reports of food poisoning on social media.
In a tweet, the FDA stated that the move to close down the restaurant is to enable the Authority to conduct investigations into customers’ complaints.
“The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant.
“We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations”, the tweet said.
Marwako, a fast-food eatery in Accra had been trending on Twitter after several Twitter users complained of food poisoning after eating there.
The Twitter tirade started after a user, Edward Elohim, shared that the fast-food service had served him and several others with food that is contaminated.
Several other users rehashed his statement, accusing the fast joint of putting them in a similar situation since the weekend.
Many were subsequently hospitalised with many of the alleged victims referencing the eatery’s East Legon branch as the possible source of their discomfort.
Some users, therefore, urged the Food and Drugs Authority to take action against the company.
Amidst the complaints, some affected customers hinted at filing a class action suit against the fast-food service.