The Ashanti Regional Health Directorate with support from UNICEF continues to educate and sensitize the public on LEAD poisoning preventive measures.
Lead is a naturally occurring element found in the earth’s crust. While it can be beneficial to use, it is also toxic and can cause long-term health effects.
Lead poisoning in babies and children under the age of five damages their brains before they have had the opportunity to fully develop, leading to lifelong neurological, cognitive and physical impairment.
Informal, illegal, and unsafe recycling of lead-acid batteries is one of the biggest causes of lead exposure in Ghana, especially in the Ashanti Region.
In an interview with MyGhanamedia’s Isaac Owusu, Dr. Michael’s Rockson Adjei, Deputy Health Director in charge of Public Health has urged Ghanaians, especially those in the Ashanti Region to stay away from the usage of metal lead which is a naturally occurring element found in the earth’s crust.
Dr. Rockson advised parents to stop their children from coming into contact with lead and they should identify any lead hazards in their wards environment so that they can control or remove it safely before they are harmed.
Dr. Michael’s Rockson Adjei, Deputy Health Director in charge of Public Health
Globally, up to 800 million children have blood levels indicative of lead poisoning, and Ghana as a lower-middle-income country is also contributing to heavy metal pollution.